Saturday, May 26, 2018

The Sunshine Blogger Award





Thank you to Erica @ Erica Robyn Reads for tagging me and asking these awesome questions. I believe that this tag has a lot of rules? Yeah, nobody’s got time for that. I’m just going to answer Erica’s questions. Let’s go!









The Sunshine Blogger Award





What blog post from 2018 so far do you wish had gotten more love?


Any of my reviews. Poor book reviews. They take so many hours to write, and then nobody clicks on them.









How did you come up with your blog name?


It’s inspired by the “All The Things” meme. I also refer to my mountain of unread books as “All The Things.” As in, “There are all the things I still have to read.”









What is your favorite type of blog post to read (reviews, discussions, etc.)?


Definitely discussions. I love how creative and opinionated people get with them. I really like Top Ten Tuesday, too. Bloggers give the best book recommendations, and TTTs tend to make my To-Read list explode.







What are your favorite genres?


Dystopian, horror, history, contemporary, literary, magical realism. Basically, anything that’s well-written and a little stabby.







What item do you use for a bookmark most frequently (actual bookmarks, sticky notes, receipts, etc.)?


Actual bookmarks. I don’t have any fancy ones, though. My bookmarks are the advertisement type of bookmarks that the checkout person stuffs into your book while you’re buying it.







Where is your favorite reading spot?


My bed. It’s the only place where everybody leaves me alone.









What are your biggest turn-offs about a book?


I have so many! The biggest is probably lazy/amateurish writing. If I’ve seen better writing from an unpublished writer in a writing workshop, I’ll probably end up flinging the book into my donation box instead of finishing it.









What was the last five-star book you read?


A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. My Game of Thrones obsession is intense, guys. I’m trying to finish the books before the next season of the show starts.









What was the last book you DNFed (or gave a one star rating if you don't DNF)?


My last one-star book was . . . And Now Miguel by Joseph Krumgold. Miguel finds sheep a lot more interesting than I do. It’s good to be passionate, but damn, Miguel, get a friend or something. There’s more to life than sheep.









Are you a member of any bookish clubs/groups?


Do Goodreads groups count? I joined several of them, but I never look at them, and I get mildly annoyed when they send me email notifications. I’m really terrible at social media. I don’t know how other bloggers keep up with it all. Some of you must be wizards.









What are some really inspiring books that you have read?


Inspiring books aren’t my thing. I’ve never been able to get into philosophy, or self-help, or any of that. The last book that really impressed me is The Smell of Other People’s Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock. I don’t know how the author packed so much stuff into such a small book and made it work so well.









What’s your biggest turn-off in a book?








12 comments:

  1. I had to stop being part of those Goodreads groups because of the emails. It was vote for book of the month, reminders to vote in book of the month, results of book of the month (which I never joined in with), author events in the US (I'm in the UK)-it all got so annoying! I'm thinking about giving up my GoT posts as I get one or two comments a week for them which doesn't seem much considering how everyone loves the series! I also enjoy discussion posts but I don't see many around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you - sometimes I wish my review posts got more attention. They really can take a lot of effort to put together. I'm always trying to think of ways to make them more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny intro. :)

    Books that are too long turn me off so much that I don't read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh I'm actually catching up on GoT show right now! I took like a break for 2 years after My Favourite Character Died in the books and I was like "nope, not watching that in the show". 😂 Now I am old and tough and heartless, so I got it over with haha. And omg S6 has me SHOOK it's so freaking good?! Although I'm sad I'm now ahead of the books *cries*

    And yeah I hate amateurish writing in books too, also bad world building!! I'm really tired of fantasy where the worlds are super flat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will say, your book reviews are quite impressive. They always are a lot more than book reviews. If it helps at all, I read them. I never read in bed. It automatically makes me fall asleep. I have a nice glider to read in though, and I love TTT too! My TBR gets a lot of adds every Tuesday, but I have discovered some great older books that way. I think the only specific turn-off I have right now is when authors politicize things in their books, when the books is supposed to be a fun, fluffy contemporary. I am so tired of politics right now. It's so ugly out there, and I like to escape via a book, and hate to have that pollute my happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!!! I love this!! Thanks for taking part! :) And this line: "anything that’s well-written and a little stabby." So perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the award! I loved reading your answers here. I also with reviews got a bit more love, reviews deserve SO much, they take so much time as well. Yet, I think just like you, my favorite posts to read are discussions, I love reading everyone's opinions on bookish and blogging topics :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun answers. I am with you in that I have no idea how some bloggers can keep up with everything. I can't do it and have any time left to read. I wouldn't mind Goodreads messages except for the fact you have put your password in to see them...and then it is not anything I wanted to read in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, yes. We work so hard on our reviews, and they never get enough love. But that's because we all seem to prefer reading discussions lol. Bed is my fave place to read too! Although I can never keep track of bookmarks :-P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post. I had fun doing mine too. Erica is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Post, reviews never get enough love although they are why most book bloggers started their blogs. It's hard to stay passionate but your doing a great job.
    Tori @ In Tori Lex

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great questions - loved reading your answers!! :) x

    ReplyDelete