Sunday, January 22, 2017

The Sunday Post #81


The Sunday Post is hosted by The Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to recap the past week, talk about next week, and share news. It’s Monday, What Are You Reading? is hosted by Book Date. I get to tell you what I’ve read recently.




On The Blog Last Week







On The Blog This Week


  • On Monday I review Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff.
  • On Tuesday I talk about small presses.
  • On Wednesday I review Cold City by Cathy McSporran.
  • On Thursday I tell you what I’ve been doing in January.





In My Reading Life


Bad news. I DNFed 2 books last week. They were The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel and Three Moments of an Explosion by China Miéville. I started both of them in December and was having a really hard time paying attention to them. I finally just gave up on them and reread Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Then I read Angel Catbird, volume 1 by Margaret Atwood and Johnnie Christmas. Right now, I’m reading Sex with Kings: 500 Years of Adultery, Power, Rivalry, and Revenge by Eleanor Herman, and I See Reality: Twelve Stories about Real Life.





In The Rest Of My Life


Last week was not the greatest for me. My aunt died from cancer while Trump was being inaugurated. My dog injured herself. And, for reasons I don’t understand, I can’t get my prescription refilled. So . . . yeah. Feeling kinda sick right now.

But, let’s do this. Five things that made me happy last week:

  1. The blog now has a discussion library! It’s up there ^, right under the header. All my brilliant opinions about stuff are in one place.
  2. I finished my 2016 reading statistics post. It took forever because I had to do math and make graphics. I hate both of those things, so I’m proud of myself.
  3. I didn’t cheat on my diet or slack on my exercise. I was tempted to be lazy last week. Deep breaths and back away from the cookies.
  4. Book trading.
  5. This commercial from New Zealand. When my diet is over, someone needs to park that churro cart in my driveway.  







Take care of yourselves and be kind to each other. See you around the blogosphere!











16 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss and the rough week you had. Hope next week is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad news about your aunt...and the timing.

    I like your 5 Happy Things. Enjoy your new week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for your loss and the hard week you've had... I hope this week is a much better one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your aunt! Condolences and best wishes... and for your dog too, hope she's okay. And I'm not one for math or graphice either, so well done on that. :)

    I never read Clan of the Cave Bear although I was curious. And looking forward to seeing what you think of Gemina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt. I hope you are feeling better.

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on the diet / exercise front. I need to catch some of that enthusiasm! Will check out your discussion library...

    PS. I've watched Clan of the Cave Bear (movie) and found it deathly boring so I can't imagine what the book would be like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for your loss and for the difficult week you've had. Hope you are able to get your prescription filled soon.

    I just reread the Harry Potter books last year but may reread them again this year. They are good for comfort reading. Plus Dumbledore's Army is pretty inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear that things haven't been going well. My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry to hear about your aunt. Cancer is a rotten ass thing. Also, I hope that you are able to get your prescriptions refilled. I've been there and it's a right pain in the arse.
    Here you are reading Harry Potter again, and I still haven't read it. I am yay close to accepting that it's not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for the loss of your aunt. I am also sorry to hear about your dog's injury. :( May this week hold brighter moments, although I know you will still be dealing with your grief.

    I had kind of a rough week last week as well - and strangely, the book I picked up to reread last night was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. It must a comfort book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to laugh at your comment about math and graphics---off to go check out that post now.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry for your loss and that last was so difficult for you. I hope this week will be better. Also, re-reading Harry Potter is always an excellent life choice. ;-)

    ~Marie @ Ramblings of a Daydreamer
    Here’s My It’s Monday What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope you have been able to get your prescription and feel better.

    I wish that I could say that I didn't cheat on my diet. I cheated enough for several people. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry you've had such a horrible week...I hope you are doing as well as possible under the circumstances. Take care of yourself *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry for your loss, and for your rotten week :'-(

    I never feel bad for DNFing a book - life is too short to force yourself to read books that don't speak to you, especially if you've given them a fair shot!

    ReplyDelete