Thursday, October 22, 2015

I Saw The Martian Movie!


I went to see The Martian movie last Thursday. I don’t feel qualified to review it because I don’t watch many movies. The Martian is actually only the second movie I’ve seen so far this year. I’ve watched bits of other movies, but I rarely have the patience and attention span to sit through a whole one. So, this post is more of a ramble than a review. Seriously, I have no idea what I’m talking about.

Overall, I really liked the movie. There is a lot of action, and the actors did a great job with their roles. Sometimes with book-to-movie adaptations, the actors don’t match up to how the characters are in my head. That wasn’t the case with this movie. The actors did a believable job of portraying the characters.

If you didn’t like the book, you might like the movie. It’s less sciencey and more intense. The action scenes from the book translate really well to the screen. The main character, Mark Watney, also shows a bigger range of emotion in the movie. One of my complaints about the book is that Mark is just sarcastic all the time. His emotions didn’t always seem realistic. The movie character still has a great sense of humor, but I think the movie character is more believable than the book character.

There are a lot of things I like about the movie. It’s funny, and the music is awesome. The scenes that take place on Mars are my favorite. There’s one scene that has tornadoes in the background. It looks so cool.

Some stuff from the book was changed or left out of the movie. Most of the changes happen at the end. I prefer the book ending because it seems more realistic to me (not that I know anything about space), but I understand why the changes were made. The movie-makers wanted more drama and more closure.

The only thing that disappointed me about the movie is Mark’s journey across Mars at the end. It’s way, way shorter in the movie than in the book. I guess it would have been expensive for the movie studio to create, and it would have made the movie much longer, but I really wanted to see it.

The Martian is an entertaining way to spend a few hours. It follows the book better than a lot of adaptations. I enjoyed it.




10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the movie was good even if it wasn't perfect. Can't wait until it comes out on demand (I am not a go to the movie kind of person)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I heard that they compressed quite a bit of his journey....

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that! Not sure yet if I really want to see it or not. I have a hard time watching movie adaptations. So much is changed all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They changed some stuff at the end, but I was ok with it. I still prefer the book ending, though.

      Aj @ Read All The Things!

      Delete
  4. Awesome!!! You're exactly saying what I hope the movie will be like. I didn't enjoy the book as much because all that science talk was just too much, but from what I've seen so far, the plot translates way better to the screen. I'm absolutely ready for this!

    - Jen @ The Bookavid

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm actually looking forward to seeing this movie (not common for book-to-movie adaptations)! My husband is finally reading it so maybe we'll be able to see it before it out of theaters, although I'm not a huge go-to-the-movies fan either. I've heard a lot of good things about this movie, which makes me really happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm probably the only scifi fan out there who hasn't read the Martian. It sounds funny, but I just don't like books where the main character is all alone for most of the time.

    I'm glad that the movie was even better than the book! I'm so annoyed by changes from book to movie I usually have to watch the movie first anyway lol. More closure in the end with the movie is a good thing. I need a happily ever after!

    That's a shame that the cool part of seeing mars was cut short.

    Nice rambling review! ;)

    ReplyDelete