Friday, June 13, 2014

I’m Back: Here’s What Happened


I’m home from my first residency at Spalding University in Kentucky. I was there because I’m getting my MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults. I did take some random pictures of Louisville, but you won’t be seeing them because I haven’t had a chance to put them on the computer yet. I don’t think I’ve even taken the camera out of the suitcase yet.

I spent 11 days in Louisville. It was exhausting, awesome, and slightly terrifying. This was my first time going on a plane by myself. It was also my first time leaving Colorado by myself. But, I did it. I got to stay in a fancy hotel and meet a bunch of really interesting people. I did spend a lot of time lost and wandering around Louisville, but that was to be expected. I kind of get lost everywhere.



The residency was like a writing conference on steroids. It was nine straight days of lectures, readings, workshops, and meetings. Unlike my past residencies at other schools, we didn’t get the weekend off. I don’t travel much, so I had a hard time adjusting to the time zone change. I felt like a stumbling zombie for most of the residency. However, I did learn a lot. Even though it was scary and mentally exhausting, I’m glad that I went. It was totally worth it. The best part was that I went 11 days without hearing anyone say, “You’re getting a MFA in Writing for Children? What do you plan to do for money?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment